“Whether the critic is good or bad doesn’t depend on his opinions, but on the reasons he can offer for those opinions.” (Harold Clurman, Director/Critic)
objective, descriptive, factual, “clean notice”
subjective, evaluative, impressions, interpretation
intrinsic (internal) vs. extrinsic (external) criticism
Dave’s qeleshe and scarf
Sample Critical Perspectives (Types of Criticism)
- New Criticism
- Reader Response
- New Historicism
Goethe’s Three Critical Questions
- What was the artist trying to do?
- Was he/she successful in doing it?
- Was it worth doing?
- Popular/Commercial Success vs. Critical Success
- Journalistic vs. Academic Criticism
- Moral vs. Artistic Criticism
- Personal Taste and Values
Critical Response Exercise
Samuel Beckett’s Breath