Handout: Historical Context and Plot Summary
Excerpts from the 1993 Broadway Original Production
Film Version Does NOT Equal Stage Version
Review the cast of characters and scene layout and read the opening scene.
Then watch opening of the HBO film version starting at 02:15.
Then compare that the recent London/Broadway production starring Andrew Garfield.
How does your production design concept “solve” the following?
- numerous locations: real and imaginary
- double casting: costuming and makeup
- split scenes: real and imaginary (dreams, hallucinations)
- ghosts: historical and imaginary
- Kaposi Sarcoma and wasting: Prior and Roy
- a burning book that rises from the floor
- an angel crashing through the roof
- (nudity and smoking onstage)